Hi all,

I've been running Linux for several months now, and I've managed to get just
about everything working the way I want (quite a learning experience for
someone with limited UNIX experience, but lots of fun...:-)), but there are
still a few things that I can't seem to resolve.

Could someone please explain what's up with the limited number of colors
available at any particular time.

For instance, I have Netscape open, then I try to open The GIMP and I'm told;

"Try exiting other color intensive applications.
Also try enabling the (install-colormap) option in gimprc."

When I enable the specified option all the other colors on my display go
berserk. This really sucks.

I've got a Matrox Millenium with 4 Mb (ie; the hardware shouldn't be at the
root of the problem) so is it the X-server (MetroX on RH 5.0), the video card
drivers, or what? Is this something that is being worked on (as part of GNOME
for instance), or is it more complicated than that?

I'm trying to convince everyone here at the office how great Linux is, but
it's a bit of a hard sell when I can't get more than a few colors displaying
at any one time...

Any help would be appreciated, or perhaps someone could steer me to some
documentation on this, assuming there's a solution.

TIA

Bob Ross
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]