Filby, Gordon wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> sitting at my newly installed RH5 computer the other day I realised how
> little I really know about this and how many questions I have that
> aren't easily to be answered by man'ing all over the place. maybe
> someone will take mercy on me and answer at least some of them.

        I don't check the list very often, so don't expect any further
information
        if you follow up with more questions (at least not from me  ;-).
        Also, I run RH4.2, so my answers may be wrong for version 5.0
        Here's my best try at helping out:

> 1. In X why does the default menu offer me New  Shell and give me only
> an xterm? Is this right? I would have expected to get a submenu
> displaying other shell names to be installed.

        I think the idea of a 'New Shell' is that you get a new virtual
terminal that
        is running a shell of some sort (in this case 'bash' by default).  I
believe
        RedHat's idea was that the interface would be semi-familiar to a
Windoze user
        who may be used to a 'Command Prompt' window.

> 2. Is there a mode in which I can see and possibly confirm the files
> read and loaded during booting. Something like 95's confirm mode, I
> mean.

        I am unfamiliar with what is meant by 'confirm mode'.  So, if there is
        don't know.  You can type 'dmesg' to see a listing of all (most) of the
        messages that fly by during boot (but not all the files ???)

> 3. When I start xfm a second window containing the text No configured
> applications appears. I can't get rid of it without closing xfm. Aslo in
> xfm the View menu item doesn't work, even with files I know to be text.

        When in doubt, 'man xfm'
        Beyond that, I don't know either.

> 4. Can the control panel be resized so that all buttons are visible at
> once? On a 15inch screen they're much too large and quite ugly.

        Ummm... I doubt it.  Anyone else confirm this?  I believe it is a
limitation
        of Tk, or at least a limitation of 'Control Panel'.

> 5. Is possible to place the scroll bar at the right of the emacs screen?

        Once again, I don't know but try scouring the man page (or info pages).

> 6. On calling up X I get a message X Banner message "Your text is
> probably too wide" What does this mean? and how can I get rid of it?

        X Banner.........Hmmmm........
        Don't know.

> 7.Why do I get an x-console and what is it good for? Where can I switch
> it off?

        Check your .xinitrc or .Xdefaults or one of those other .x files.
        If you have no such files in your home directory then check the system
        defaults files for your Window Manager.

> 8. When I'm in X and use xfm to cd to a directory why isn't my open
> xterm also in the same directory?

        These two items (xterm and xfm) are completely unrelated to eachother.
While
        they both can be used for representing file directory structure and
listing,
        they are not somehow 'linked' so that if you are switching directories
in one
        place, you also 'go' there in the other place.
        Heck, not even Windoze does that?  Why would you want/need/expect this
behavior?

> and finally the most frustrating one of all,as it means I can't  install
> anything from the "outside world".
> 9.In the User Mount tool (Start ->Programs->Administrator-> Disk
> Management) trying to Mount floppy (is type ext2 correct?) gives "wrong
> fs type, bad block or too many mounted file systems". I get the same
> message when I mount by hand from an xterm with mount -t msdos /dev/fd0
> and when I remove file systems from the dialog box.

        Make sure the floppy has been formatted with a file system.  If the
floppy is
        formatted DOS, then the command 'mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy'
should
        work *AS LONG AS THE DIRECTORY /mnt/floppy EXISTS*

Also although
> /dev/cdrom is given as type iso 9660 and mounted I still can't ls it. It
> gives with ls /cdrom "no such file or directory"

        Ummm... check /mnt/cdrom.  On my 4.2 system, this directory was the
default in
        /etc/fstab file.

> man, have I got problems !! Any nice person know any answers?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Gordon Filby

        Hope this helps you out.  I would STRONGLY suggest you get ahold of
some Linux
        books and keep reading Linux web sites, mailing lists, FAQs, HOW-TOs
and so forth.
        About 7 months ago I was clueless.  Today I have a shred of a clue and
I'm still
        learning.

        Joe