On Wed, May 06, 1998 at 03:03:57AM -0400, Jack Hatfield wrote:
> I searched through the archives and found some problems people had with not
> knowing the root password but no solutions.
>
> Is there anyway to get under or in a linix box when you do not know the root
> password???
>
> I had someone leave and they only knew the password.

        Boot from a rescue disk, mount the root partition, and cut and paste
your users password into the space for root's password in /etc/passwd.

        Then log in as root with your password, and change the password.

                                        Adam

--
Adam Jacob                  E-Mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Systems Administrator       WWW: http://www.cybertrails.com