On Thu, 7 May 1998, Paul Anderson wrote:
> Eric Goforth wrote:
> >
> > After browsing though over 200 matches for the string "linux winmodem" I'm
> > sure what the answer to my question will be, but I'll ask it just in case.
> > There isn't any chance of my being able to get my Compaq 56K-VSC Winmodem
> > that came with my Presario to work under Linux, is there?
> >

> Unless one can come along to shed more hope than I, there is no way to
> make a Winmodem work with any other OS.  These modems should never have
> been sold in the first place.

I actually ran into a case worse than the Winmodem crap last weekend.
My brother-in-law works for a medical equipment supplier and much of
their equipment is networked, using Sun workstations for control, etc.
The company just bought him a new laptop (Win95) and a new printer to
use with it. He called me for help in making his demo equipment (Sun
workstation, various medical monitors, all connected via ethernet)
print. So I drove to his house and discovered that they had bought him
an HP700 series DeskJet printer--and this is the same type of crap as
the Winmodem--only works with Windows (3.1, 95-98 or NT4.x). The page
rasterizing is done by software, and their is no way to use this piece
of crap with anything else--not even dos. It won't even print ascii
text without the support programs running from Windows. Beware of
these things!

-ray