Hi all,

I have recently acquired a SCSI card and a SCSI DAT tape drive and am
having trouble getting them to play together.

I am running a RedHat 4.2 system with the 2.0.32 kernel upgrade.  The SCSI
card is a BusLogic BT958.  The tape drive is a Seagate STD64000N 2/4GB
external DAT drive.

I have compiled support for general SCSI and for the BusLogic card into
the kernel.  Both the card and the tape drive are recognized at boot up.

The problem initially showed up as a failure to write data to tape.  If I
try to tar to the drive using the command 'tar cvf /dev/st0' I get a
listing of files being 'written' to the tape followed by a 5-10 min. pause
followed by messages indicating that the write commands have timed out and
that the SCSI device is being reset.

For what it's worth it appears that the system is actually managing to
talk to the drive since the drive whirs and clicks when the command is
executed.

Some further research found that during boot I am getting the message
"kernel: Unable to get major 9 for SCSI tapes."

Some hunting around in the Kernel sources revealed that this message is
coming out of the module drivers/scsi/st.c when the "register_chrdev"
function fails.  The function "register_chrdev" is defined in fs/devices.c
and only fails if either the major device number is greater than 128,
clearly not the problem in this case, or if the major number is already
allocated.  I can find no indication that major device 9 is being used by
any other device.

I would be grateful for any help with this.

Thanks,

Geoffrey Hunsicker