I had this problem for about 1 1/2 yrs before I changed motherboards and
went to a serial mouse.  During the PS/2 months I went through occasional
obsessions, searching for help and fooling around with my setup (gpm
on/off, mouse type adjustments in XF86Config, what have you).  Nothing
anybody advised ever made the slightest difference.  I tried several
different PS/2 mice during that period and they all jumped around pretty
frequently, though no such behavior occurred when I used another OS.
Given those circumstances, and the knowledge that others were using PS/2s
without trouble, I figured it was a combination of hardware and software
snafus that couldn't be cured without new hardware or some improvement to
the XFree PS/2 driver.

Take this description with a grain though, since it's been months since I
switched, and my memories of the whole experience are probably a little
cloudy.