I have a question regarding setting up a dial-up PPP line.  I have set up
incoming PPP lines before, but have always logged in using a certain
account name that started the PPP connection.  My ISP uses a clever way of
initiating the connection...you log in using your user name followed by a
special character....i.e. mblatch$, followed by the standard password
prompt.

Once password is authenticated, if the user name had a "$" appended, the
PPP daemon is automatically started.  This is great since only one NIS
database entry needs to be maintained for each user.  And, users can still
choose to log in interactively by dropping the "$".

Does anybody know how I can implement this on a RedHat 5.0 machine?

I've thought about having uugetty call a shell script instead of
/bin/login.  Shell script could look for the "$", set a particular
environment variable, and then exec /bin/login with the "$" stripped off
the user name.  But, this seems like I could create a security problem if
I'm not careful in the shell script.

Or, mgetty can apparently do pattern matching on user names and then call
something other than /bin/login.  I'd still need a /bin/login replacement
to do all the authentication though.  Also, I'm aware that mgetty will do
"Auto PPP", but all authentication is solely via PAP.  There's something
about requiring the normal Login/Password procedure that makes me feel
better.

Any advise or thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike