On Mon, 11 May 1998, Stacy Brodzik wrote:

> I am trying to install RedHat LINUX on a PC for the first time.  I
> successfully created the boot disk from "boot.img" and RAWRITE.EXE.
> After the floppy was created, I was able to "dir" the contents of it.
> However, when I tried to do the same thing to create the supplemental
> disk, something odd is happening.  I used "supp.img" and RAWRITE.EXE
> as before and everything seemed to work ok.  But when I tried to do
> a "dir" on the new floppy, I can't switch to the A:> drive and I'm
> told that the disk is not formatted.  Is this how it should be?  Is
> this a floppy that only a LINUX OS will recognize??
>

> --
> Stacy Brodzik         INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yes and yes.  The root filesystem is typically a minix filesystem, which
saves a little space over a more native ext2 fs.  A dos dir command works
ONLY on a dos-formatted disk, and isn't really working on the boot disk
either.  A boot disk has a kernel file written to it in raw format at the
beginning of the disk-- if dos' dir command still works it is pure
coincidence and the info from it is probably all lies.

---
W. Matthew Warnock, Attorney at Law  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    Tel: (408) 778-7273
60 West Main Ave. Ste. 12-A, Morgan Hill CA  95037       Fax: (408) 778-7989