  oq> I am upgrading from r hat v 4.2 to 5.0 .  When I go to the
  oq> upgrade software the program will not recognize my scsi card.

Details that might have been useful:-
                Which SCSI card is it?
                When you installed Red Hat 4.2 did you have to include module
                                parameters?
                What is the contents of /etc/conf.modules on your RH4.2 install?

  oq> Then I continue withthe install it gives me a "bad block device"
  oq> error and "unabel to recognize previous install" and "cannot
  oq> find rpm library" type errors.  What am I doing wrong?  Go easy

Well, if the system can't find your SCSI adapter, it isn't going to
find your SCSI disks either.