Matt Warnock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But I'd rather have procmail just deposit the mail (by
> default)  back into /var/spool/mail/matt (my system box) where I can read
> it with any mail tool without customization.  However, I fear this will
> confuse procmail and send it in an infinite loop.  The docs didn't address
> this as far as I could see.  Anyone know if this is safe, or how it can be
> done?

I haven't tried it, but if you are invoking procmail from your .forward file
(or .qmail file), I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Personally, I put all my mailboxes in ~eric/Mail, with my default mailbox
being ~eric/Mail/mbox.  My .bash_login sets the environment variable MAIL
to ~eric/Mail/mbox.  This satisfies all the programs I run.

On my machine I use qmail, which by default delivers user mail into
~user/Mailbox instead of /var/spool/mail/user.  I changed the system scripts
to set the MAIL variable for my users, and that made most of them happy.  But
some of them like Pine, and for some reason that must have seemed good to the
authors, it ignores $MAIL and expects the mailbox path to be in a
configuration file /usr/lib/pine.conf (which really should be /etc/pine.conf
or maybe /usr/etc/pine.conf, but I digress).  I found that putting the line

inbox-path=$MAIL

into that file solves the problem nicely.  I wonder why they don't do that
by default?

Cheers,
Eric