From: Jose M. Sanchez [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 1999 3:01 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Selling Redhat Dist

Don't quote me on this... but I don't believe that this is the case.

Mandrake takes the original RH distro and modifies it in some form(s)
creating what is effectively a "new" distro based upon Redhat's.

Redhat can (though I don't know if they do) copyright the compendium itself,
without needing to lay any rights to the actual contents...

This permits people to take their release and do with it as they see fit,
but still gives them a modicum of legal protection in case someone blatantly
copies their "work".

Of course, they really rely on their manuals and tech support (SIC) for
income...

Slackware did at one point successfully sue someone who re-sold their
releases on this basis...

Of course, you could merely change something minor and make new CD's because
you've also created a "unique" distribution...

I may be totally wrong though...

Tred lightly here...

-JMS