From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, 5 November 1999 12:53
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux_via_Windows_Proxy

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to use a linux box from behind a
Windows firewall.  I've been out of the "Linux loop" for a couple of
months, and I was hoping to pick it up again.

Here's the scenario.  Small, home LAN (8 machines).  ADSL connection to
one Win98 box equipped with two NICs.  All other MS machines can both
see the Win98 box (a.k.a., the firewall) and access the Internet
(because the firewall is connected to the ADSL modem *and* the LAN hub).

Question:

I'm using Sygate as the modem-sharing software to provide Internet
access for the non-firewall machines.  What sort of
mechanism/device/software/hack do I need to allow the Linux machine
(stock RH 6.0 on a 486 machine) to access the Internet vci?  (I should
also tell you that the LAN machines have statically addressed IP
addresses.)

I hope I've not overlooked anything.  Thanks in advance for your help.
(Private replies are encouraged.)

Sincerely,

-HGLEE