Dear Daniel, here's another "non-programmer" using Linux for fun!!! =)

> I need to get a bigger hard-drive. Also, I was hoping to upgrade from
> redhat 4.2 to redhat 6.1 or whatever the latest release is. I also
> need to install windows 98 on the new hard-drive--for work-related
> purposes.
>
> I have several questions.
>
> 1) How do I do this and still access the old drive?

Got this from a previous message. Got it for my records:

"Adding a disk to an EXISTING setup:

1. Log in single user mode, so you can mount and unmount what is needed.
2. Make a temporary mount point, say /temp (mount -t ext2 /dev/hd?? /temp).
3. Make an entry in fstab for it (/dev/hd?? /usr/local/games ext2 defaults 1 2).
4. Umount /temp.
5. Mount /usr/local/games.
6. Reboot.
7. Done.

If you want to move to the 2nd disk the entire /usr directory, make the
appropiate adjustments to the above. Once done, you can rmdir /temp directory."

I have not done this yet. Hope it works for you.

> 2) What's the best way to install windows and redhat 6.1 on a drive? I
> have no idea how to do this. Windows first and then redhat, or the
> other way around?

If what you want to do is to install RH 6.1 and windows in your new drive, you
can keep RH 4.2 in the drive you already have. Windows should be mounted before
Linux. I have installed win/linux drives, but never with a previous linux
install I want to keep. What I would try for doing this is to remove LILO from
my MBR first. Then I would remove my actual drive and install the new one. I
would install Windows, and then the new version of Linux. Once LILO is
installed in the new drive, I would connect the old drive and make a new stanza
in lilo.conf, so I could boot either Win, Linux1 or Linux2. Don't trust me. I
haven't done this yet and I don't know if it would really work. I would
experiment this at my own risk! Anyway, other guys with more experience can
help.

If it was my system, I would repartition and reinstall Win and new Linux only.
I would make a couple of swap partitions of 64 MB, one on each drive, which is
supposed to give you a better performance. I would try also to install my two
most active partitions/directories in different drives, to split head work ( I
am planning buying a couple of SCSI cheapo drives to do this and improve the
performance of my 486/66 box ). You can also share the new swap partitions
between Linux and Windows.

On the other hand, I would install RH 6.0 instead of RH 6.1. I have read about
so many install problems, that I decided keeping 6.0 until 6.2 release (I will
wait a couple of weeks after official release to try it).

> 3) I'm looking for a fairly large drive. Any suggestions as to brands?

When I have asked same thing, I have got the following: "look for recognized
brands". You can read the specs and decide by yourself. I guess it depends
mostly on what you want to do. If you are a amateur user as I am, the top of
the line drive in speed and performance (usually the most expensive one) is not
the best option. Sometimes a slower drive, with a reasonable ( outlet =) ) price
could do the job as well.

What I guess would be a good advice is to look for technology that your other
hardware could accept with no pains.

> 4) Anything else I need to know? Pointers to partitioning info for a
> larger drive, etc.

There are HOWTO's about all you are asking. If you have specific questions
after reading them, there is plenty of knowledgeable guys in the list to help.

> 5) I also want to install more ram. I know I have to do something to
> make linux register the larger ram, but what?

If you do a fresh install, it will recognize memory automatically. I *guess*
that even if you just install it, Linux will very probably get to recognize it.

Let's say it doesn't.

If, for instance, you are using 32 MB but only 16 are recognized, at the LILO
prompt type:

LILO: linux mem=32M

After the machine boots, use the free command to see if the larger amount of
memory was recognized by the kernel. If so, you can add an append line to the
/etc/lilo.conf file and rerun lilo to make it happen permanently. The example
could be as follows:

boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=10
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.32
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sda1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.32.img
        read-only
        append="mem=32M"

Do not forget to run lilo after editing the file.

(This info was taken from a FAQ).

> That's it. Thanks for any help.

Just hope this all works! =)

Best regards,

-Manuel.
--
Manuel A. Camacho Q.
Refrigeracion Industrial Beirute, S.A.

"Genius is an infinite capacity for taking pains."