On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Jamie Smith said:

JS>I have just installed RH 6.1, and got everything set up.  However, I am not
JS>impressed with my 2+ year old mystique video card.  Can anyone recommend a
JS>card
JS>that will work well with the xfree86?
JS>
JS>Requirements:
JS>    o able to handle 1280x1024 @ true color (or higher)
JS>    o PCI Bus
JS>    o under $50 if possible
JS>
JS>It would also be nice if it were NT compatible as well...

I have a Matrox Millenium II PCI card laying here on the desk that does that
just fine. (no it's not for sale <grin>) It was in my old WS which is now a
server and has a simple 1MB card in it. The card has 8Mb of RAM on it and it
works great. I am using an ATI Rage 128 AGP w/16MB now and it's fine as well
but I had to go and get the SuSE XFree86 stuff to make it work. One drawback
to the ATI is that the framebuffer support for it is not in the 2.2.12
kernels so when not in X I have to deal with the normal 80x25 fonts which
are huge on this big monitor. On the kernel list they're working on
framebuffer support for this card right now but we won't see it until 2.4 or
later unless we want to play with development kernels.

I would think the Matrox would be a good option and they should be
relatively inexpensive at this point as they're easily a year or more old.

--
Chuck Mead, CTO, MoonGroup Consulting, Inc. <http://moongroup.com>
Mail problems? Send "s-u-b-s-c-r-i-b-e mailhelp" (no quotes and no