Extracted from the Honorable Chet Edwards page:
http://www.house.gov/edwards/pr990723webchrg.html.

The other rumor concerns non-existent legislation that claims a
?Congressman Schnell? has recently introduced ?Bill 602P.?  Supposedly,
this bogus bill would allow the federal government to impose a 5-cent
surcharge on all e-mail messages.  The surcharge would be collected
by the United States Postal Service (USPS).

This rumor is FALSE.  There is no Congressman Schnell and there is no
Bill 602P.  The USPS has also stated they would not contemplate
having the legislation introduced, nor would they support it if it was
proposed.