>hello,
>
>i'm looking for the best way to do backups on my home network. here's the
>setup...
>
>i've got a rhl 6.0 machine with a total of about 14-15 gig of data that
>will need to be backed up.
>
>i also have a sun sparc, running solaris 7, with a 24 gig DDS3 tape drive.
>right now the sparc nfs mounts the dirs from the linux box and just uses
>tar to write to the DDS3. i'd like something a little more full
>featured... or something with features :)
>
>i'm compiling amanda now on the sparc. it looks like it might be what i
>want, but i'm interested to hear other experiences. there's a chance i
>might back up data on a win98 machine too.

        I use amada, and a DDS-2 drive on a HP workstation to back up my home
        network of ~11 machines. I ma very happy with it. It has saved my *** a
        number of times.

        Having said that, there is one weakness that I have not figured out a
        workaround for.

        If you run say a dumpset each day with a total of say 10 tapes. If a
        givne machine drops off the network for more than 10 days, you lose
        _all_ bacjup sets for it. There _may_ be a way to configure two sets of
        amanda dumps, and archive one set, but I have not figured it out yet.

        The only other thing that would sugest you do is keep a _written_
        procedure for restoring from tha amanda tapes _without_ the amanda
        software. What if it was on the drive you lost. Of course to do this
        properly, you would need to print out the nightly tape indexes.

--
Stan Brown     [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                    843-745-3154
Westvaco