Gah!

I'm trying to help a friend with a new 6.1 install get dhcpd running and it
absolutely *won't* listen on any of the aliased IP's.  Some details:

The network is a class B subnetted to class C's.
The machine has 1 network card with two IP addresses assigned to eth0 and
eth0:0.  Both interfaces come up fine and are pingable (is that a word?!?).

eth0  IP:xxx.xxx.77.20 network=xxx.xxx.77.0 broadcast=xxx.xxx.77.255
sm=255.255.255.0
eth0:0  IP:xxx.xxx.78.80 network=xxx.xxx.78.x broadcast=xxx.xxx.78.255
sm=255.255.255.0

When dhcp starts, it listens on the 77 address but not the 78 address.  If
I reverse the address/device assignment, then it listens on 78 and not 77.
I've tried forcing dhcp to listen on both by editing /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcp
like so:

daemon dhcp eth0 eth0:0

but then I get the error message telling me there's no shared-network
declaration for eth0:0 (0.0.0.0).  For some reason dhcpd can't find the IP
address associated with eth0:0, so it assumes 0.0.0.0.  If I comment out
the shared-network declaration for eth0, I get the same error message as
above but it gives the IP address of eth0 instead of 0.0.0.0

The *really* annoying thing is this worked under 5.2.

Any thoughts/ideas/whatever would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

-Eric

Eric Sisler
Library Computer Technician