This is a BAD BAD BAD idea for several reasons.

#1 This leads to leaky network syndrome.  My firewall on my DSL line gets
blasted every few hours when PCs and Printers get rebooted in someones small
office.  Their DHCP and NetBIOS broadcasts come through loud and clear.

Many DSL customers actually participate in large bridge groups.  This means
things are not routed, but bridged as they come into the ISP, so people
see each other's broadcasts.

#2 It's a wide open security hole.  It may be possible for someone on the
outside, perhaps in your bridge group, or at your ISP, to spoof packets with
the internal address of your network and thus completely bypass your firewall
.

#3 Think of the firewall box as a lightning aresstor.  Do you want the outside
line plugged into your hub to hit every box, or would you rather soften the
blow through one box and hope the others survive?  I have no idea what kind
of surge supression those DSL boxes provide, but wouldn't count on it.

I'm speaking from experience here.  One of the power mains to my apartment
complex got blasted this summer.  Welded some breakers solid on, others just
burnt out.  The maintenence people spent a week tracking down electrical
faults through the building after that.

--
J. Scott Kasten

jsk AT tetracon-eng DOT net

"That wasn't an attack.  It was preemptive retaliation!"