On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 11:58:04AM -0400, Guillermo Garcia wrote:
> Hi, our mail is having the following problems:
>
> Every time to time the service goes down and the following message appears
> in /var/log/messages:
>
> Nov 23 11:26:21 mail1 inetd[674]: pop-3/tcp server failing (looping),
> service terminated.
>
> We are servicing 3000 clients and the average load of the server is about
> 5-10 simultaneous users.
>
> Any idea of what is happening? Is it a load problem?
>
> Our server is a Compaq Proliant 800 PII 350 mhz, 128 MB, HD Ultra SCSI 4.3
> GB, running RedHat 6.1
> The pop3 service is the one installed with IMAP 4,5 release 4.

Hi,
        There's an easy fix. In inetd there is some sanity checks which
assume that a program started from inetd can only be done X times per
minute. If you have a busy inetd service, such as pop, you can exceed
this limit and inetd thinks the program is out of control.

        So, in /etc/inetd.conf, change:

pop-3   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd ipop3d

        To this:

pop-3   stream  tcp     nowait.200  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd ipop3d