On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 03:01:30AM -0500, Michael J. McGillick wrote:
: I'm intrigued with rebuilding the SRPMS for Red Hat 6.1 to all i686.  Is
: this process as straightforward as installing the source rpm, and then
: typing:
:
:    rebuild -bb --target=i686

All this frenzy about rebuilding our RPMs with --target=i686..

I look at /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc and see this:

buildarchtranslate: i686: i386

This tells me that RPM looks at the optflags, etc for i386 anyhow.  The
"magic" --target=i686 doesn't really do anything except name your RPM
foo.i686.rpm.  Make sure your

optflags: i386:

line reflects what you want!  Here are my optflags:

-O3 -mpentiumpro -DCPU=i686 -fno-strength-reduce -fexpensive-optimizations
-ffast-math -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer

(all on one line of course..)

That's been working pretty well on this beast:
http://www.jasons.org/anthrax.phtml

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><
            Technologist, cryptogeek, human.