I think it will the drive will just run as Ultra 33. And the kernel
(2.2.12) in redhat 6.1 has support for that so you should just pop it in
and it'll work i think.

-----Original Message-----
From:   Morse [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Thursday, November 25, 1999 12:36 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        RH and ULTRA 66

I am installing a second drive on my ABIT BX6 Revision 2 motherboard
...latest BIOS.
My old secondary channel drive was a Maxtor ULTRA 33 that was mostly FAT32
logical drives in an extended Partition and RH 6.0 Linux native and swap
primaries. Bootmanager on the primary channel handled the dual boot.
My existing Primary drive is a 9 GB Seatgate ULTRA 33 which the motherboard
supports and has no slave.
I am putting a new IBM 13.5 GB Deckstar ULTRA 66 on the secondary channel
with a TEAC CD R as a slave and will start from scratch with a RH 6.1
install. This is my first ULTRA 66 drive and I know there are issues with
legacy setups
The motherboard will not support ULTRA 66 but will work with the IBM as a
ULTRA 33
The primary OS is Win98 and PowerQuest Bootmanager is installed to handle
the dual boot.
I want to install RH 6.1 into  4 GB of free space I plan to leave on the
end of the new drive.

Question:

Will Linux balk at the UTLRA 66 Deckstar 22 GXP or is it a case of.....if
the controller and motherboard accepts them so will linux?

Does anyone know if I need to disable anything on the drive in order to run
it a ULTRA 33 on my ABIT BX6 ?

thanks
morse