On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 11:26:02PM -0600, Brian wrote:
> In 6.1, in.identd is started from inetd.conf, with "wait" instead of
> "nowait".  It is started with the -e -o options.  When requests come in
> for identd, new identd's are started, but the old ones never go away, it
> just grows and grows and grows.  Is anyone else seeing this?  Our mail
> server goes to several hundred identd's in a few minutes.

In 6.1 you also get the option to run identd in standalone mode. I've found
this is a bit faster for machines doing lots of identds (eg mailservers).
You can start it from ntsysv.

I'm not 100% sure on RedHat 6.1's suitability as a mail server (with large
aliases files). The glibc/db2 combination is not 100% reliable.