Frank,

The only thing that I would recommend pm for is resizing windows
partitions. Don't install it on the hard drive; Don't use it to
create "linux" partitions. I've seen pm do some really wacky stuff
to people's partition tables. And for that matter, you could just skip
pm and use the fips utility to chop your windows partition.

Always leave the space that you want to use for linux as unpartitioned,
no matter what re-sizing program you are using and no matter what linux
distro (ok, except for phat linux ;) you are using. It is to your
advantage to allow the installer program for the linux distro of your
choice to set up the linux partitions. If your bootable linux partition is
in an extended partition, lilo must also be on the mbr of the hard disk.

As for picking the distribution, go with peer pressure and pick Red Hat ;)

Yes, I'm a little biased. Who would have guessed from my e-mail address?

Anyway, don't forget to weigh the necessity of support. With the deluxe
version of Red Hat, you have the option of phone support. I don't know
what caldera or corel offer.

Speaking as a support tech, I think that we're pretty darned good for new
users. But again, I'm probably biased.

Choose wisely, grasshopper.

--Matt

--
  Matt Galgoci
  Job title: export title=`dd if=/dev/random bs=24 count=1`