Linux does -NOT- autodetect printers.

You have to manually set it up as an HP 4 in PCL mode or any HP printer
which understands PCL 4 or PCL 5.

Make -SURE- that the printtool correctly detects your printer port -FIRST-
and reports it active. If no ports appear you may need to manually modify
the conf.modules file...

In print tool, turn -on- "fix stairstepping of text".

Your printer is not a native postscript printer...

-JMS