Hi,

thanks to those who advised to get a bigger HD before installing 6.1...
Tis a biggie indeed. I did a clean install and was very impressed (tho
when I went to buy a copy they'd sold out of RH6.1 and only had
macmillan mandrake 6.1). I'm assuming it's much the same to install, and
I loaded kde and gnome. It was quick and I had a system up and running,
with the net and X in under an hour. (sndconfig gave errors, but works
in the end with my sb16)

BUT I did have problems compiling the kernal. make xconfig and later
make bzImage gave me errors and I had to edit the makefile and remove a
gcc option    'preferred-stack-boundary=2'   Once that was out it
compiled fine. Anyone know why...

It was okay for me as I was willing to probe arround, but I'm always
telling total newbies that a kernal compile is not that hard - but that
would have stumped them...

Is that a Mandrake fault? It was a totally new install, so it caught me
by surprise.

Just curious if anyone had any ideas on that... The compile went find
afterwards tho the scsi-emu is a little odd - but was impressed to find
support for those crummy little cards they give you with the HP
scanners. I now have the scanner working in linux, so that just about
blows it for my windows partition. Tho I've been pretty exclusive to
linux for a while now, I feel like the last ties have been cut, and it
didn't even cost me a real scsi card.

I'm also having a few other minor probs, but I'll try my hand a while
before bothering anyone :-)

thanks,

tim

  Tim & Therese Fairchild