Brian wrote:

> Do *any* tools exist at all to help reconstruct an rpm database?  One of
> my machines RPM databases got hosed in the upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1.  I
> still have a directory with plenty of data:
(snip)
> My question is, what is going on here, I am assuming somehow the data
> format got hosed, and if I could somehow "dump"t this data, edit out the
> bad parts and rebuild it, that would be most helpfull.  Or if some sort of
> repair utility exists.
>
> [root@blackhole signal]# rpm --rebuilddb
> Data type 0 not supported
>
> Please someone tell me their is a way I can fix this!

I think tihs is what you need, lemme know if this fails. Taken from the
6.1 Gotcha's...

5.5 Upgrade problem: can't find a valid RPM data base error

Question:

I am trying to upgrade my earlier Red Hat Linux system to the current
release, but it complains that it can't find a valid RPM data base. What
do I need to do?

Answer:

The problem is that a few earlier versions of RPM would write the
database in a way that seems corrupted to later versions. Rebuilding the
database fixes the install
problems. We will need to upgrade RPM on your system to the one on the
installation CD-ROM, and rebuild the databases.

First thing to do is mount the latest CD-ROM on the system.

       mount /mnt/cdrom

After doing this upgrade 'RPM' off the CD-ROM like so:

       cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
       rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force rpm-*rpm

When the new RPM is installed, rebuild the database.

       rpm --rebuilddb

This will put the database in a format that the installation RPM can use
(since they are the same.)