On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 08:29:10PM -0500, Charles Galpin wrote:
| actually, the '.' will match any character. So it will also match
| dead_letters, dead-letters, deadaleters etc.
[...]
| On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Vidiot wrote:
| > >find / -name "dead.letters" -exec rm {} /;

Um, no. RTFM, my man. This is a _shell_ pattern, not a regexp.
. isn't special in shell patterns (it uses ? for match any char).
Imagine how bad things would be if . were a wildcard for the shell.
We talk about *.c etc all the time...
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Be smart, be safe, be paranoid.
        - Ryan Cousineau, [EMAIL PROTECTED] DoD#863, KotRB, KotKWaWCRH