I am running a RH6.1-ish system with a self-rolled
kernel tarball (2.2.13).

I have been experiencing problems with xfree86-3.3.5-16
and kde-1.1.2.  I recently installed the i386 rpms for
this version and then decided to recompile the source
with optimizations for my 686 system (celeron).

All was fine before the recompile and install and for
a short while it was ok afterwards but then I found
that on ocassion, the kpanel would crash, and I would lose
many open apps (like a kvt).  I would logout (that
still worked with the right mouse button on the kwm
background) and then try to relogon.  It would fail -
kde would fail to start.

I found that I could start gnome without problem,
however, and from there would try to run a few kde
apps (kvt, kedit) but I would get segfaults.

I reinstalled the xfree86-3.3.5-16 i386 binaries
again, ran xf86setup, rebooted and all was well
again.

Has anyone come across similar behavior?  Is kde
sensitive to which xfree was installed when they
are compiled (I compiled and installed kde)?

One more thing...I have downloaded acroread 4.0
but find that it tends to segfaulting irrespective
of xfree variant.  I downloaded a pdf that gv can
see just fine but trying with acrobat - it craps
out.  I have tried redownloading and reinstalling
to no avail.  It usually starts to load a pdf,
with a LITTLE of the text becoming visable but then
it posts a small message about a segfault being
caught.  This happens also with postscript files
that have been converted to pdf.

Has anyone run into THIS behavior?