Hi !

        Sorry if I seem to be hard in understanding, but I don't know exactly what
you want. In this place you may ask for two things, either using a server
or running a server. But I try to answer both.
        Using a server to chat with other ppl is not that hard, there are zillions
out there. One of the biggest IRC networks is probably DALnet
(irc.dal.net). I chat there almost every day and have good exepriences with
it, except that lagging and desynching of services is getting more than
just annoying. Other servers are preset in kvirc, so that you just have to
choose, connect and try them and their users out. Joining rarely any other
server networks besides DALnet I can't give a propper judgement, but I that
on EFnet and IRCnet there are more wierdos and idiots than any other place
i've been too in real life and in cyberspace, but that is just my
impression i got (i don't say that everyone using these servers is an idiot
!!!!! no flames for that, please). Uhh, kvric can be downloaded at kvirc's
website http://www.kvirc.org .
        Running your own server is done with ircd, which is part of most distros
as far as i know. How to set it up or how to run it, i have absolutely no
clue how to do it. I bet there is a decent docu about it, man pages or even
books, it is also worth a look at the different websites of the IRC
networks (e. g. www.dal.net), there are explanations about how they run
their servers. If you are lucky you can get in contact with a server admin,
but they are pretty busy most of the time and therefore do not have the
time to walk a ircserver newbie through the setup process.

        Ahm, did I answer your question ? I hope so, if not contact me again. :)

                Greez

                                Dave