On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 01:37:23PM +1100, Hossein S. Zadeh wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Jeff Smelser wrote:

> > Imap is plain text unless you go through ssh. Netscape and a few others
> > support secure imap.

> IMAP through ssh? That's news to me, could you elaborate.

        Mixing apples and oranges....

        You can do pop and imap through ssh.  Hell, you can damn near do
anything through ssh.  That's beside the point.  The "secure imap" that
netscape (and outlook, and outlook express, and mutt, and exchange) support
is NOT imap through ssh.  It's imap through SSL.  Different animal entirely.
The first statement should have read "Imap is plain text unless you go
through some form of encryption such as ssh or ssl".  While the original
poster may have been confused and thought that secure imap was imap over ssh,
it is not.  His statements are pretty close to accurate, but they lead to the
false conclusion that netscape and others support imap over ssh which, in
fact, none do.  They only support SSL encrypted imap (imaps) which has been
allocated its own port number (993) by IANA (the Internet Assigned Numbers
Authority).

> cheers,
> Hossein

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/