From: Edward Schernau [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 27, 1999 10:23 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: recipient.list.not.shown; @nswcphdn.navy.mil
Subject: motherboard vs. Win9x (was AMD K6)

I believe its some way that Win9x enumerates all your motherboard
and PCI resources, that causes this weirdness when you upgrade your
motherboard.

I just went from a K6-233 --> ABit BP6 dual celeron, and it ended
up redetecting a lot of things (PCI bridge, "motherboard resources",
etc. etc.) and detected (of course) the NEW things as well, like
the AGP <-> CPU bridge, and all that crap.  If you move PCI cards
around, Win9x will "redetect" them.  This leads to the annoying
little yellow ! signs in Control Panel, as you end up with 2 NICs,
or 2 VGA cards, one of which doesn't work, etc. etc.

Linux doesnt seem to care WHERE a PCI card is, or if you install
a new motherboard with a different bridge chip.  Linux cares THAT you
have a PCI NIC, for instance, but not WHERE it lives.

I guess this is a Win9x feature...

--
Edward Schernau                         http://www.schernau.com
Network Architect                       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]