> Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 09:39:43 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Michael J. McGillick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> cc: Allen Bolderoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Allen:
>
> Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but after the file is
> compiled, isn't it a stand-alone binary?  why would a certain library need
> to be installed to run a program that's already been compiled?  Forgive my
> ignorance, but I just want to understand why the new libstdc++ has to be
> installed.  Or am I completely misunderstanding this and you are saying
> that the new library needs to be installed when doing the compilation
> under gcc-2.95?
>
> - Mike

Modern systems don't include copies of libraries within the executable
(although you can make it do that if you want).  This saves disk space
and memory while the programs are running - 5 programs that need the C
library can all share the same copy in memory.  This is called
"dynamic linking" vs. "static linking" where all the code is contained
in the executable.  Run "ldd executable-file" to see a list of
"shared libraries" that the executable needs.

If you have experience with that other companie's OS, the equivalent
is DLLs.

Dave