I might be misremembering the exact error message.  The curious thing is
that, as far as I can tell, this just started out of the blue and I have no
idea where to look.  I think these errors were generated while I was using
X (Gnome; stock RH 6.1).  The only changes that I've made is that I've
configured my machine to masquerade (as outlined in the IP Masq howto) and
I was messing with PPP (see my previous long post for details).  Maybe
something is crossed between the mouse and the internal serial port (but
I've never noticed this error before while using kppp).

I don't notice that the mouse is any weirder than normal.

I band-aided it by adding '-V-2' but I was wondering if anyone recognized
the error and had some insight into why or what I could explore.  gpm
always seemed somewhat of a black-box to me...

-Alan
---
Alan D. Mead  /  Research Scientist  /  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institute for Personality and Ability Testing
1801 Woodfield Dr  /  Savoy IL 61874 USA
217-352-4739 (v)  /  217-352-9674 (f)