On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, rpjday wrote:

> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > Try disabling kudzu or forcing it to start with the -s option.
> >
> > you, sir, are a genius.  minicom now sees the modem, and responds
> > to AT commands.  i'd test the card except i left the cable at a
> > friend's place.
>
> whoa, one more interesting issue.  once i'm up and running with
> the 2.2.13 kernel, running kudzu or kudzu -s results in a seg fault
> and a core dump.  ack.  so much for kudzu.

Kudzu clobbers the serial ports in some notebook computers. I found
both my Cardbus modem and external modems attached to the rear serial
port to be useless after a kudzu probe. They were reported by minicom
to be 'online' even after a forced hangup.

As to why you are getting segfaults when trying to run kudzu from the
command line, how did you disable it? If I run it on my DEC Hinote
VP765 from the command line with '/usr/sbin/kudzu -s' it works fine. I
don't see the need for it though and have disabled it by changing the
links in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and /etc/rc.d/rc5.d to be named
K95kudzu. Either linuxconf or tksysv can make this change for you.

--
Ron Golan