Don't forget that there is a /dev/MAKEDEV script that
is made especially for creating devices.

cd /dev

for i in 4 5
do
./MAKEDEV ttyS$i
chown root.tty /dev/ttyS$i
chmod 600 /dev/ttyS$i
done

Have fun,
--
Rick L. Mantooth
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Gustav Schaffter wrote:

=> Stefan,
=>
=> Thanks a lot for the good explanation. I've followed your advises and
=> now have my required ttySx devices.
=>
=> Thanks also to BeRo who gave me the same explanation off list.
=>
=> Best regards
=> Gustav
=>
=> Stefan Smietanowski wrote:
=> >
=> > Hi.
=> >
=> > > I have one PC with the two standard serial ports ttyS0 and ttyS1 plus an
=> > > STB Fourport card.
=> > >
=> > > When I run OS/2 in this PC I had setup one of the STB ports on IRQ 11
=> > > and the remaining three in IRQ 12, all with different I/O addresses of
=> > > course.
=> > >
=> > > I'm currently trying to configure my serial ports and it was my
=> > > intention to run setserial from rc.local for ttyS2, ttyS3, ttyS4 and
=> > > ttyS5.
=> > >
=> > > ttyS2 and ttyS3 works fine. But when running setserial for ttyS4 or
=> > > ttyS5 if fails with the message that /dev/ttyS4 (or 5) doesn't exist,
=> > > which is also the case.
=> > >
=> > > What can I do to 'create' my /dev/ttyS4 and /dev/ttyS5 ?
=> >
=> > What you need is to use 'mknod' with the appropriate options.
=> >
=> > In /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt we see that ttys are of
=> > major 4 and that the ttyS' are from minor 64 and up. We also see it's a
=> > character device. (That's what we specify to mknod).
=> >
=> > ttyS0, 1, 2, 3 are minor 64, 65, 66, 67 so ttyS4 and S5 are 68 and 69.
=> >
=> > Run this:
=> >
=> > mknod /dev/ttyS4 c 4 68
=> > mknod /dev/ttyS5 c 4 69
=> >
=> > The 'c' is 'character device', the '4' is Major, the '68/69' is minor'.
=> >
=> > Then we see that the other ttyS are owner root, group tty and have
=> > access flags : crw------- .
=> > Change owner and permission of files:
=> >
=> > chown root.tty /dev/ttyS[45]
=> > chmod 600 /dev/ttyS[45]
=> >
=> > Yes, write like that with the brackets. Saves you some writing :)
=> >
=> > Now an 'ls -l /dev/ttyS*' should show you that you suddenly have the
=> > required ttyS'.
=> >
=> > Good luck!
=> >
=> > // Stefan
=>
=> --
=> pgp = Pretty Good Privacy.
=>
=> To get my public pgp key, send an e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=>
=> Visit my web site at http://www.schaffter.com
=>
=>
=> --
=> To unsubscribe: mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] with "unsubscribe"
=> as the Subject.
=>
=>