Alan Mead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Using the PPP and (to a lesser extent) ISP Hookup HOWTO's I've been able to
> get pppd-based dial on demand working.  Sort of.  My goal is to set up the
> Linux gateway to allow family members on my SOHO LAN to transparently
> initiate PPP connections to the Internet using a 56K dial-up account with
> my ISP (without their needing to know any Linux)--and having those
> connections die transparently and automatically when the user is done.

[...]

> It seems that Red Hat intends to manage PPP differently than outlined in
> the PPP howto (e.g., the ppp-on/-off are not installed) so I'm a little
> confused as to whether I'm doing things correctly?

It's been a while since I messed with PPP (I just switched
to a DSL line, myself) but have you looked at Unruh's web
site?  To me, that seems to be the bible for getting ppp to
work, in particular you might want to look at the section on
"Automation":

  http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html#Automation

My guess is that you have some kind of issue about the pppd
being suid.  For some reason, whenever I ran linuxconf, it
would insist on changing pppd the protections on pppd, and
if I didn't want to have to run my pppon script as root, I
needed to do this evertime after I used linuxconf:

  chmod 4755 /usr/sbin/pppd

If this is a security hole, well, having a root window open
on the console all the time where you need to type a commonly
used command, that's a security hole, too.

Hope this helps a bit...