I'm not familiar enough with that particular MB, but it sounds like you
are talking about the heat sink for the voltage converter.  Yes, it
would get very hot.

If the Cyrix chip feels cool, then you're probably not feeling it in
the right places :)  By my own checks, I've found that Cyrix chips tend
to run very warm compared to other manufacturers chips... my old P133, for
instance, had a dinky little fan (maybe 5CFM) and a very minimal amount
of heat sink space, yet if I turned the machine off, popped the fan,
and checked the temperature, it would rarely be over 110F.  The Cyrix chips
have a BIG honking fan (~40CFM), large heat sink, and will be very
uncomfortably warm (and this from a guy who sometimes checks to see how
close a pot is to boiling with a clean finger tip dip) if I do the same,
on the order of 150F.  Of course, I SHOULD be using thermal grease, but....

The quickest way to at least get some of the heat down is to check the path
of the airflow you already have... bundle the ribbon cables and other cables

so that the are neat and COMPACT, so that they interfere as little as
possible with the standard airflow through the case.  That should help
a bit, without requiring more fans.  There are a few other techniques,
but I'm not sure that they will be very effective, such as trying to
tune the voltage down in the CPU (would help, but might not be ultra
effective on the VR).

Bill Ward