>I'm wondering, is there a tool available for determining the number of
>pages that a postscript file would consume without actually printing it?
>David

This question, or ones like it, never seem to go away :-)

PostScript files cannot be checked to determine, with 100% accuracy, the
number of pages it will print.  A simple one line piece of code could print
as little as one page when it is run or thousands the next time it is run.

A DSC compliant PostScript file could have the %%Pages comment checked, but
that could be wrong if the person used a page extraction program that doesn't
update that comment.  That means you need to check the %%Page comments and
see how many there are in the file.  But, if the person manipulated the file,
even that could be wrong.

So, in a nutshell, if the PostScript file is DSC compliant and hasn't been
screwed with by anyone, yes.  For all other situations, no.

So, what do you do?  You query the printer AFTER the job has been printed
to determine the ACTUAL page count.  Most printers have a page logging
facility that can be used.

MB
--
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Bart: Hey, why is it destroying other toys?  Lisa: They must have