If you have a Linux boot disk, use that.  Otherwise, you could try
telnetting into your machine across the network.  Remember that you can use
su -l to change from a regular user to root.  Once you're in, edit
/etc/inittab to start runlevel 3 by default.  Look for something like
id:5:initdefault and change the 5 to a 3.  Then you should be able to
restart and see a shell login again.  Next, you can probably just run
Xconfigurator from the console as root - it will walk you through the setup,
and will probably probe your video card, ram and mouse without any work on
your part.
That's probably the easiest thing to do.

-Jeff