I asked myself the same question. And since I could not find the answer, what I did to
keep
the same config is :

- unpack redhat kernel source rpm
- did make xconfig-> Save config to file : myconfig

- cp myconfig -> new kernel source

- did make xconfig in the new kernel source -> Load config from file : myconfig

Works, if not the best

Philippe

-