I have a dynamic IP account for my DSL from uswest.net.
Everyone who gets such an account receives a Cisco 675
router (this may have changed to a later version recently).
Everyone with such an account will have an "internal"
network with the router being 10.0.0.1 and the desktop
computer being 10.0.0.2.  Everyone.  This internal network
is separate from the internet as a whole.  The router
itself gets assigned a dynamic IP but it is invisable
behind the router.  Below is the result of running
ifconfig eth0 on my system as I am connected and typing
email and web browsing:

[patrick@Tempus patrick]$ /sbin/ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:04:6C:DE:AE
          inet addr:10.0.0.2  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:20 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:7 Base address:0xe400

If I want to connect to my router and alter any settings, I telnet
into it and the address I telnet to is 10.0.0.1 (I can also setup
minicom under linux or hyperterminal under windoze to directly
connect to the router for configuring).  If I run ping 10.0.0.2, it
is the same as pinging localhost or 127.0.0.1.  If I ping 10.0.0.1
I am pinging my router.

My thought was to assign something like 10.0.0.3 to my laptop, if
that will work.  Otherwise I am going to have to setup, what,
IP aliasing or something?