Jeff,

In the x86 based world, and in the Alpha world as far as I understand,
you are basically asking to create a freak... it just doesn't work.

On the other hand, it is possible to do this with some other computer
architectures.  The problem is that those architectures (SGI's Origin
series comes to mind right off) are NOT Commodity parts, and are
VERY expensive.  However, if you want to have a 300 MHz MIPS R12K
node with 195 MHz MIPS R10K boards, we could talk about how to do it
(it is possible, but not in a single insert module... and if you don't
understand what I just said, that's fine, if you don't understand it,
you probably don't need to....  Origins are modern Supercomputers).
Note that Linux does run on the MIPS architecture, so we're still
talking something you might be interested in discussing here,
though I believe that IRIX is somewhat better for MIPs at this time
(more refined implementation, it's been around a bit longer).  As
a pedantic aside, don't be confused when talking about "slow" CPU
speeds on these puppies... 300MHz MIPS >> 300 MHz x86, if for
nothing else than that it's a 64 bit superscalar CPU.

So, in simple terms:  you cannot mix and match processor speeds
with ANY existing x86 based architecture/chipset combination.  You
can mix the different speed processors, though... you just would end
up underclocking one down to the slowest of the multiple CPUs.  So,
in your example, you would end up with two PIII-450s at a 4.5
multiplier on a 100 MHz FSB.

Bill Ward