On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 03:46:31PM +0000, Thomas Ribbrock Design/DEG" wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> (Warning: Lengthy!)
<That's the truth>

I would recommend a firewall building package called mason.  You install
it on your machine and turn it onto "learning" mode and do all the normal
things you do with your machine... over time it learns all the traffic
patterns that you intend to allow throught the firewall.  When you're done
building up this list of traffic patterns, you configure it to set the
default rule to DENY, then only allow those packet types you taught it
were ok.

At any point, if you find that it's firewalling something you find
usefull, you can put it back in learning mode to pick up a few more
traffic patterns...

It's very intuitive once you get used to it.

--
Steve Borho                       Voice:  314-615-6349
Network Engineer

Fortune of the day:
I haven't lost my mind; I know exactly where I left it.