You have to initialize the raid-set:

mkraid --really-force /dev/md0

(why someone thought we were "really" stupid and made the option "really-force"
is beyond me.)

The disks must be partition such that (in your case) sda1 and sdb1 are the
entire disks.

For future use (and depending on if you've got autoraid compile - something I'd
advise against if you value your data), just use raidstart /dev/md0.

yukon

BTW: I'm assuming raidtools-0.90 et al.

On 13-Jan-2000 Edward Schernau wrote:
> I've got two 400ish MB SCSI disks of the same size, and am trying to
> make a RAID-0 set.
>
> Here is my /etc/raidtab:
>
> raiddev /dev/md0
>     raid-level                0
>     nr-raid-disks             2
>     nr-spare-disks            0
>     chunk-size                4
>
>     device                    /dev/sda1
>     raid-disk                 0
>     device                    /dev/sdb1
>     raid-disk                 1
>
> I have all 4 RAID levels compiled in.
> Each disk has 1 partition, type 83 (linux).  Each is empty.
> When I run "mkraid /dev/md0" I get the following:
>
>       handling MD device /dev/md0
>       analyzing super-block
>       disk 0: /dev/sda1, 420848kB, raid superblock at 420736kB
>       disk 1: /dev/sdb1, 420848kB, raid superblock at 420736kB
>       mkraid: aborted
>
> What's this trying to tell me?  Thanks in advance.
> --
> Edward Schernau                               http://www.schernau.com
> Network Architect                     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Rational Computing                    Providence, RI, USA, Earth

E-Mail: yukon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>