Something similar has occurred on my setup at work, but it generally deals
with my having windows up and changing the configuration on the server or
the server being down do to the power failing over night and my not knowing
it (no ups, ARRGGHHH!!). Anyway, It has been my experience that you should
restart '98 to reconnect to the server or you can't browse the network. The
funny thing is logging out does not fix it, only restarting.

Chad