Philippe,

Sometimes. Requires special action from me, though. :-)

I log out from X where I run Gnome. Before the logout process is
finished, I rapidly switch over to any one of my virtual text consoles
tty1-tty6. From then, I find an 'empty black screen' in tty7 and X
running in tty8. In tty8 I can login through X as usual and it will stay
there. No more tty7.

Because of social reasons (my wife :-) I have to shut down my PCs for
the night. Next day, I have X on tty7 as usual.

BTW, I run XFree86 3.3.5-17.

Regards
Gustav

--
pgp = Pretty Good Privacy.

To get my public pgp key, send an e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit my web site at http://www.schaffter.com