ifcfg-eth1:
        DEVICE="eth1"
        BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
        ONBOOT="yes"

there is no pump.conf file

this configuration works with ADSL connection to Duke Univ ISP service
(via GTE wire).  Also, Doze box dhcp works (got an IP # I could use
to manually configure eth1).  Manual configuration works just fine.
I checked - 0.7-2.2 is the most recent pump version available from redhat.

Do I simply need to include timeout and retry parameters in pump.conf to
give the connection a chance to work?  I'm assuming that GTE's DHCP server
was functional at the time, since I connected the Doze box within about
two minutes.  Is there any known flakiness with GTE/ADSL of pump, much
like there was with @Home, etc?  What's the probability that giving it
a longer timeout (maybe 15 seconds? and retries maybe 3 or 4) will work?

I must admit that I didn't have debug level turned up when I went to
install it, since it was working perfectly with the Duke ADSL connection,
so I turned debug down (this was a "production" version by then :->

(This box is a 486 ip masq box with two DLink ISA (NE2000 clone) cards
and was working quite nicely before I tried it on the GTE/ADSL connection.
I haven't had any problems with Doze boxen working with GTE's DHCP server.
I would like to feel a little more confident about pump!