From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2000 6:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Starting an Xsession on remote computer

On 14 Jan, Ward William E PHDN wrote:
> I really don't understand what you are trying to do.  If you have
> X-Windows running on your laptop, as long as X is installed on the
> remote machine, it doesn't matter if that machine is in terminal
> mode or Graphics mode... it can still throw up valid X-Windows on
> your machine remotely.  If you don't have X installed and running
> on your laptop, it doesn't matter anyway.
>
> IOW, you shouldn't NEED to startx on the remote machine.  Even a
> dumb client would need X running LOCALLY.  Can you please explain
> it in detail what you are trying to achieve?

I want to run X on my desktop machine but I want it to be displayed on
my laptop.  In other words, I want it to be exactly as if I was sitting
at my desk running it on the monitor there but I want it on my laptop
instead.  The programs and files I want to run and access, respective
ly are all on the desktop computer.

I assume that I need to login to my desktop computer, then get X to run
there but display on the laptop.  I this not right?

Tom
--
Quote of the day for Friday, 14 January, 2000:

"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest."

  - Henry David Thoreau