On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 05:30:06PM -0800, Jack Byers wrote:
> Steve Borho wrote
> >It's always been my experience that Linux is as reliable as your hardware.
> >With PC's, this isn't saying much (which explains why I use a DEC Alpha and
> >a Netwinder at home).
>
> Can you explain just how you use a Netwinder?
> perhaps as a dedicated firewall or ???.

They make fine X servers.  Plug it in, give it a head, start X and
WindowMaker/GNOME and you're ready to go.  The Netwinder doesn't have a
PPU, but my Alpha more than makes up for it.

> What makes the Netwinder more reliable than a PC dedicated to
> the same tasks?

Not much, save for the fact I didn't have to go hunt down all the hardware
to make it work.  The StrongARM cpu used less juice than an x86 processor
(the entire unit, hd included, draws less than 15 watts) so has less of a
heat problem.

--
Steve Borho                       Voice:  314-615-6349
Network Engineer

Fortune of the day:
Don't smoke the next cigarette.  Repeat.