"Steven W. Orr" wrote:

> I just bought the 7 cd set, Totally Mad, and I was wondering if anyone knows
> what I need to be able to not use WinBloze to see the art.
>
> The pictures are not useable by xv or ee. I get
>
> mad.m2:  JPEG image data, JFIF standard
>
> I'm open to suggestions :-(

Here are some sure-fire ways to get it viewed:

But first-- make sure that you're really trying to view a jpeg file.
type 'file filename.jpg' and you should get something like:

filename.jpg JPEG image data, JFIF standard

If it says something completely different, then you may be hosed.

1) Netscape.
Despite all the freezeups, zombie processes, crashes when I go into the address
book, Netscape is a great way to view documents in JPEG format.  Pull up
netscape, and go to the URL:
file:///path/to/the/file/filename.jpg

2) convert.
When all else fails, convert that bad boy.
'convert' is a part of the ImageMagick-4.2.9-1 package.
Use the command:
'convert filename.jpg filename.png'
then use your favorite viewer to view the file.
Do yourself and DONT convert it to a GIF.  the format sucks, the graphics in it
suck, the compression sucks, the color depth sucks, and so do the royalties to
Unisys.

3) Star Office.
If you don't use Star Office, you should.  Free for non-commercial use, it
completely fills any need that I would have required Micro$oft Window$ Office
It views just about everything, too.  (www.stardivision.com)

4) GIMP
I haven't found anything that looks like a graphics format that GIMP can't
read.

In the long run, you may be hosed anyway, because on those CDs, the
manufacturer so often tries to get cute, and keep people from stealing their
stuff by swiping off the JPGs off the CD and putting it on their backgrounds,
etc.   Stupid, but true.  I try not to understand the pointy-haired marketeers
and managers, for it only makes my head hurt.